Week 16 : Noodles
Recipe : Noodle salad with crispy tofu
Cook Book : Off the shelf – cooking from the pantry by Donna Hay
I have collected a few Donna Hay books along the way. She has quick easy recipe ideas that you can make during the week or a busy weekend.
I changed the recipe a bit (as I usually do). With salads, it’s easy to change to suit your taste. Instead of going for plain tofu, I opted for satay marinated ones. I thought it would go perfectly as there were peanuts in the salad. Speaking of peanuts, I found some nice hot chilli roasted peanuts, which went perfectly. The dressing was changed too. I found that the amount of sesame oil in the recipe was too much. The smell and taste was too strong and that was all I could taste, so I added more lemon juice and soy sauce. I’ve adjusted the recipe below.
Hubby and I enjoyed this salad. It was perfect for a warm day. It was fresh and had layers of different colours and textures.
- 400g egg noodles
- 1/4 cup peanut oil
- 375g firm tofu, thinly sliced
- 1 carrot, julienned
- 1/2 cup roasted peanuts
- 1 cucumber, sliced lengthwise
- 1/2 tbl sesame oil
- 3 tbl soy sauce
- 1 tbl lemon juice
- coriander (cilantro) leaves to garnish
- Follow instructions on how to cook the noodles on the packet
- Heat frying pan over high heat. Add the oil and fry the tofu until crisp (about 5 minutes). Drain.
- Make the dressing by combining the dressing ingredients.
- To serve, toss the noodles with the tofu, carrots, peanuts and dressing. Place the cucumber on serving plates and top the the salad.
- Garnish with the coriander and more peanuts.