Week 17 : Vietnamese
Recipe : Xoi Nuoc Dir A (Steamed Sticky Rice in Coconut Cream)
Cook Book : Asia. The Beautiful Cookbook
I have plenty of Asian cookbooks simply because I love Asian cuisine. For this week’s theme, I was going to use Luke Ngyuen’s Song of Sapa. However, I knew nearly everyone has a copy of that book.
I was keen to try this recipe for a couple of reasons. I love rice and I love coconut cream. I love the texture and the flavour of this dish, however I wasn’t in love with the way it was chilled. I think I would’ve preferred this dish warm. If I attempt this dish again, I will make it a warm dish, like an Asian rice pudding.
- 315g short grain glutinous rice
- 1 tbl salt
- 875ml thin coconut milk
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- Sauce Recipe
- 125g palm sugar
- 180ml water
- 375 thick coconut milk
- Rinse the rice in cold water twice
- Place in a saucepan with the salt and thin coconut milk
- Bring to the boil, then turn the heat down. Simmer till the rice turns into a thick paste
- Cool to lukewarm, then quickly stir in the beaten eggs
- Place a banana leaf at the bottom of 4 one cup capacity ramekin dishes and brush with the oil
- Spread the rice over the leaf, then cover with another piece of oiled leaf. Oiled side down
- Place the dish on a rack in a steamer and steam till firm
- Let it cool, then refrigerate for at least 2 hours
- Combine the palm sugar and water in a small saucepan and gently simmer until sugar is dissolved. Cool
- To serve, turn out of the dish into the serving plate. Add a little palm sugar syrup and coconut cream.