I was contacted by Taylors Wine to try out their wines and to do a giveaway on my blog. How can you say no to wine, so of course, I said yes! One lucky reader gets a chance to win 2 bottles from Taylors Wine but more on that later.
Taylors wine is a family owned wine company in South Australia’s Clare Valley, that was born from a passion of producing exceptional, hand crafted wines. I was lucky enough to try their Taylors Estate Gewurztraminer. This wine has rose, musk and spice aromas, along with a palate that is crisp and zesty with lime and lychee flavours. I wanted a dish that would compliment those flavours and had a look at their website where they list food and wine pairings.
I came up with a recipe that was not only damn delicious but went really well with the Gewurztraminer. I love pork and what better cut is there than pork belly? I simmered the pork belly first and cooked it all the way through. I then placed in a hot oven to get that nice crunchy crackling on it. I accidentally put the oven on the grill with fan function but didn’t realise until after an hour of cooking. But the crackling turned out perfect. At first I thought the glaze would soften the crackling but it didn’t. It just gave it extra flavour. One word. Winner!
- 1.25kg pork belly
- 1 tsp black peppercorns
- 2 tbs salt
- 4 bay leaves
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tsp minced ginger
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 cup sweet chilli sauce
- 1/4 cup tamarind puree
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- In a large pot, place pork belly and enough water to cover. Add the salt, pepper and bay leaves.
- Bring to the boil and then simmer for 1.5 hours.
- Take the pork belly out and let it rest on a rack at room temperature for at least one hour.
- Preheat grill with fan function on your oven to 220degC
- Meanwhile mix all the ingredients for the glaze in a small bowl. Place half aside into a small serving dish.
- Roast the pork belly for 20mins then turn down the temperature to 170degC for an hour and a half.
- Glaze the pork belly with your glaze mixture and let it roast for another 15 mins.
- Serve with the extra glaze for dipping.
- please leave a comment at the end of this post.
- Australian residents only
- You must be over the age of 18 to enter. Wine will be shipped out once proof of age has been secured.
- Winner will be notified by email.
- Competition ends midnight 14th March 2014
- What are you waiting for? Start commenting!