This month Penny from Jeroxie – Addictive and Consuming Blog is hosting another International Incident Party. This time it’s a Tacos Party. I was excited to hear what this month’s theme was. I love tacos but I have never made the tortilla from scratch.
I decided to go for a breakfast taco (though we had it for dinner). Naturally, egg and bacon went into it. Hubby made his chilli con carne to go inside the taco. He makes a large batch and freezes in separate containers. I’ve included his recipe below. Hubby also suggested to add Potato Gems in the breakfast taco for the potato element. I was a bit apprehensive about adding it but I think it works. It mellows out the spiciness of the chilli. You can leave this out if you like. For freshness, I added a salsa of diced tomato, red capsicum, red onion and cucumber.
I did a bit of research on the web and was surprised how easy it is to make. Or so I thought… If you don’t have the right tools, it can be hard work to try to get the dough nice and thin. I had to use a lot of muscle to get the tortillas thin.
1 cup of masa flour
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 to 1 cup water
In a bowl, add all the ingredients and mix together until the dough turns into a ball. Divide into 6 equal size balls, then form into a slightly flat ball
Using a clean plastic bag, place the dough inside and using a rolling pin, flatten as thin as possible. When it’s as thin as you can get it, carefully remove from the plastic and place in a dry skillet until it bubbles and colours a little on both sides. Set aside until needed.
When ready to assemble the taco, you need to soft fry the tortilla. In a pan, add about 2 cups of oil and heat on a medium heat. Quickly pan fry for 5 seconds on each side.
· Onions – 2 chopped into large chunks
· Garlic – 4 cloves chopped finely
· Beef mince – 500 – 1000g
· Salt & Pepper
· Celery – 4 sticks chopped into large chunks
· Pepper – 1 chopped into large chunks
· Carrots – 1 chopped into large chunks
· Beef Stock – 2 cups
· Bay Leaves – 4
· Tomatoes – 1 can
· Guinness – 1 can
· HP Sauce – large dollop
· Tomato Paste – 2 tablespoons
· Hot Sauce – large dollop
· Worcestershire Sauce – large dollop
· Mixed beans – 1 can
· Mustard Powder – 1 heaped teaspoon
· Tomatoes – 2 fresh chopped into large chunks
· Bacon – 2 rashers chopped into large chunks
· Sausages – chorizo, pork, and/or frankfurters or all, chopped into large chunks
· Mixed herbs – fresh & dry
· Brown Sugar – 2 heaped table spoons
· Paprika – big shake
· Ground cumin – big shake
· Chilli flakes – big shake
· Fresh Chilli – as much as you can take
1. Cook bacon & sausages in oven, Whilst cooking…
2. Fry onions & garlic in a little oil in large pot.
3. Add mince & cook until brown. Add S&P whilst browning.
4. Add carrots, celery & pepper. Cook for few mins.
5. Add liquids: beef stock, Worcestershire, Guinness, tomato paste, hot sauce, HP sauce & canned tomatoes. Add beans & bring to boil then simmer for 10 mins stirring occasionally.
6. Add mustard powder, fresh tomatoes & cooked sausages & bacon. Stir.
7. Add herbs, chilli flakes, paprika, cumin seeds, fresh chilli & brown sugar. Stir.
8. Cook for around 2 hours stirring every 10 minutes or so. Aiming for mixture where only little bit of liquid left.
9. Can freeze and reheat. Add little more of the liquids & spices when reheating.
To assemble the breakfast taco, spread some of the chilli onto the taco. Add a runny egg, crispy bacon, potato gems, grated cheese and salsa.
Other Party People who joined us this month…