A couple of weeks ago was Hubby’s birthday. We went out for his birthday dinner at Newmarket Hotel in St.Kilda. You can read about it here.
We also had his family over for dinner. Hubby asked his mum to make his favourite chicken curry, which of course, she obliged.
I decided to add a couple of quick side dishes to add to the feast. A quick carrot salad and a quick tangy lemon pickle. These dishes were inspired from Jamie Oliver’s 30 minute meals.
Tangy lemon pickle
1. Cut 1 lemon into 8 and remove seeds, then slice.
2. In a pan add 1 tbs olive oil. Add 1 tsp black mustard seeds (I used yellow mustard seeds as I didn’t have any black ones), crumble a little dried chilli, add chopped fresh chilli, and 1 tsp tumeric
3. Add the lemon and cook for 10 – 15 seconds. Mix.
4. Cool down to room temperature to serve
1. Grate 4-6 carrots and place in a large bowl
2. Add chopped coriander, grated ginger and 1 chopped chilli. Mix together.
3. Add salt and squeeze half a lemon and 3 tbs of olive oil.
4. Toss. It can be served with roasted almonds sprinkled on top.
My Mother-in-law’s chicken curry.
Naan, reheated in the toaster.
Needless to say, Hubby (and the rest of the family) thoroughly enjoyed the Indian feast.