Kulinarya was started by a group of Filipino foodies living in Sydney who are passionate about the Filipino culture and it’s colourful cuisine. Each month we will showcase a new dish along with their family dishes. By sharing these recipes we hope you find the same passion and love for Filipino food as we do.
This month’s theme is : colours of the Philippine flag. Red, white, yellow and blue.
This theme was very challenging. All colours need to be represented in the dish without using artificial colouring. We were allowed to use one colour as a prop. I decided to make crema de fruta. It had most colours of the flag: red, white and yellow and it is delicious. It’s a cake topped with custard then covered with fruit.
I’ve made cream de fruta before many years ago. I’ve forgotten how good this tastes. For the cake, I used my brown sugar sponge. I just used half the recipe, though you can bake the full recipe and freeze one of the cakes.
Recipe for Custard:
- 300ml milk
- 300ml cream
- 6 large egg yolks.
- 2 rounded tbs cornflour
- 4 tbs caster sugar
- Bring the cream and milk to the boil in a non stick saucepan.
- Beat the egg yolks, cornflour and sugar together in a bowl, then gradually whisk in the hot milk and cream.
- Return the mixture to the pan and cook over a low heat, stirring constantly for about 10 minutes. The mixture should be thick enough to coat the back of the spoon. Do not let it boil or it may curdle
- Transfer to a bowl and leave to cool.
- 825g can of tropical fruit salad mix in juice or syrup
- 1 tbs of powdered gelatin
- Place the fruit mix into a mixing bowl and sprinkle the gelatin on top
- Let the gelatin sit for a minute or two then mix.
- Place in the microwave for 30 seconds to 1 minute to melt the gelatin.
- Set aside to cool a little.
- Place the sponge cake in the cake tin you original baked it in so it’s the exact size.
- If the cake is taller than the tin, trim off a couple of centimetres off the top.
- Carefully pour the cooled custard over the cake. Smooth with a spoon.
- Spoon the fruit mixture on top.
- Refrigerate for at least two hours or until the topping has set.