on Instagram: http://ift.tt/2cBMyxY
on Instagram: http://ift.tt/2aRsrvb
on Instagram: http://ift.tt/2a1P8wu
on Instagram: http://ift.tt/2a7TTHn
on Instagram: http://ift.tt/2a2fT4B
on Instagram: http://ift.tt/29uLNop
I love sticky date pudding. It’s my safety net dessert on a restaurant menu. When I go out for dinner, I check out the dessert menu first. I look for the sticky date or something similar first. It’s my back up plan. If I don’t see a dessert that appeals to me, I go to my back up… the sticky date.
I found a recipe that turns the sticky date pudding into a baked tart. Serving it with toffee sauce and ice cream makes it a crowd pleaser. Who doesn’t love a good sticky date?!
For the pastry:
- 150g chopped butter
- 190g plain flour
- 1tbs light brown sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tsp chilled water
For the filling:
- 240g pitted dates, chopped into small pieces
- 150ml milk
- 1tsp bicarb of soda
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- 100g plain flour
- 2 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tbs golden syrup
- 100g brown sugar
For the toffee sauce:
- 200g brown sugar
- 50g unsalted butter
- 250ml thickened cream
- In a food processor, combine the flour, butter and sugar. Pulse until mixture resembles breadcrumbs. With the motor running, add the yolk and water until it forms a dough (add more water if needed).
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface and knead lightly until smooth. Wrap in plastic and chill for 30mins.
- Meanwhile, start the filling. In a saucepan over medium heat, place the dates and milk. Bring to just below boiling point, then remove from heat. Stir in the bicarb of soda, then stand for 30 mins or until dates have softened.
- Lightly grease a 36cm x 12cm loose bottom rectangle tart tin.
- Roll out the dough to 5mm thickness. Ease into the tart tin and trim the edges. Chill for another 10 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 180degC (160degC fan). Blind bake the tart shell with weights for 8-10 minutes. Remove the weights and bake for a further 3-5 minutes until golden and dry.
- Reduce the oven to 160degC (140degC fan)
- Place the dates and milk in a food processor with the vanilla and pulse to combine. Transfer to a bowl and fold in the flour, eggs, golden syrup and brown sugar until just combined. Set aside.
- For the toffee sauce, place all the ingredients in a saucepan over low heat. Stir until sugar dissolves. Cook for 2 minutes or until slightly thickened.
- Pour 1/3 cup of the toffee sauce into the tart shell, then spread the date mixture on top.
- Bake for 20-25mins until just set. Cool in the pan for 5 minutes.
- Serve warm, sliced with the remaining toffee sauce and a scoop of vanilla ice cream.